Diamond value is greatly associated with its colour grading whereby the lower the colour the greater the value. The diamond colour scale begins with D which resembles colourless and ends at Z which represents a tinted colour of brown or yellow. When choosing a diamond try to choose as close to colourless as possible, unless choosing a fancy coloured diamond such as yellow, pink or blue. At Gold River Jewellers we recommend F or G colour as your best value.
Diamond clarity is an extremely important element to consider and greatly affects the value of a diamond. The diamond clarity scale has 11 grades beginning at Flawless and ending at Included. At Gold River Jewellers we recommend selecting diamonds of the Slightly Included or Very Slightly Included clarity range for best value without compromise on quality.
To understand the clarity terms as defined by GIA our preferred diamond grader see below:
- Flawless (FL)– No inclusions or blemishes are visible to a skilled grader using 10× magnification
- Internally Flawless (IF)– No inclusions and only blemishes are visible to a skilled grader using 10× magnification
- Very, Very Slightly Included (VVS1and VVS2) – Inclusions are difficult for a skilled grader to see under 10× magnification
- Very Slightly Included (VS1and VS2) – Inclusions are minor and range from difficult to somewhat easy for a skilled grader to see under 10x magnification
- Slightly Included (SI1 and SI2) – Inclusions are noticeable to a skilled grader under 10x magnification
- Included (I1, I2, and I3)– Inclusions are obvious under 10× magnification and may affect transparency and brilliance
Diamond cut is an important element to consider, as it greatly affects the brilliance, refraction and sparkle of a diamond. Cut affects the quality of the appearance of a diamond in particular the brightness, fire, pattern of light, the cut is also greatly judged of its polish, symmetry, proportions and durability. The diamond cut scale begins at excellent and ends at poor. We recommend staying around the very good or excellent scale to ensure your diamonds cut is of great quality and brilliance.
A diamonds weight is measured in Carat (ct), and one carat is divided into 100 points; for example .50ct is also called a 50-point diamond. Diamond carat is important to consider as the value in the carat depends on the other elements of clarity, colour and cut. Two diamonds that weigh the same but have two different grades in clarity, colour and cut will have different values.
At Gold River Jewellers we pride ourselves on delivering high quality jewellery, and this includes a focus on high quality stones including diamonds. When supplying diamonds that are certified, we use GIA and other reputable companies trusted by the jewellery industry to ensure that diamonds are of the highest of quality and accuracy in grade. When receiving a certified diamond, you will receive a certificate – ensure you keep this on you as we only supply one original.
Image Source : Diamond Report by GIA